DSCSC is the oldest tri-service military institution in Bangladesh. It was inaugurated on 30th December 1977 by the then President of Bangladesh, Ziaur Rahman. The objective for setting up the college was to prepare the officers of the three services for assumption of higher responsibilities in command and staff appointments.
A British Military Advisory Team (BMAT) headed by a Chief Instructor was the founder and driving force in running the training curriculum in the initial days of the college. The inaugural batch had 30 students from all the three services of Bangladesh Armed Forces and Bangladesh Police. The college ran short courses of six-month duration jointly for the three services for the first three years. In 1980, the course duration was increased to 10 months. That year, a separate Air Wing was also opened and invitation to overseas students was started. Separate Naval Wing was opened in 1982.
The last member of BMAT left the college on 30 October 1992. Presently, the college is run entirely by Bangladeshi Staff. The first Commandant of the college was Major General Muzammel Hossain and the Chief Instructor was Brigadier T A Gibson of British Army. Brigadier A M Mansur Ahmed, psc was the first Bangladeshi Chief Instructor. Later, he also became the Commandant of the college.
Since 1977, the course strength has been more than quadrupled. So far, 5979 students graduated from the college. This includes 1301 overseas students around the world.
The college has been affiliated with Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP) since 2008 for awarding of Masters of Science in Defence Studies (MSS). The college has earned a worldwide recognition as a centre for military excellence. An increasing number of participants from all over the world bears the testimony in this regard. The standard of the college is convincingly reflected in the increased efficiency and professional excellence of the graduated officers in their subsequent staff and command appointments.